As you say goodbye to those cozy winter sweaters, you might be re-evaluating the things in your closet.
Does this shirt still fit?
Is this in style?
Do I even like it anymore?
If your clothing collection has you yawning, it’s time for a little closet edit. But instead of running out and buying every cute thing you see, it’s worth it to carefully plan and choose things you’ll wear over and over.
We recently shared some advice on how to create a capsule wardrobe, but here are a few tips to keep in mind as you update things for springtime.
Versatility is key
No matter who you ask or how many articles you read about capsule wardrobes, 99.9% of them will all tell you the same thing: Pick versatile pieces!
Versatility is what helps you create 100+ outfits out of 20–30 items.
Think of it like you’re hiring your clothes to do a job and you want the biggest bang for your buck. You could buy that bold, eye-catching top that makes a statement — but the idea of capsule wardrobes is for each piece to serve several purposes.
A blouse or shirt that can easily go from fancy to casual with a little mixing and matching is the one you want to hire.
Layers, layers, layers
While the months of March through June are certainly beautiful, they can be a little unpredictable weather-wise. One minute you’re lathering up the sunscreen and the next thing you know, you’re reaching for your favorite sweater because the temperature dropped 30 degrees.
To accommodate nature’s mood swings, be sure to include a few layering items in your spring capsule wardrobe.
- Cardigans are the ultimate layering pieces because they’re lighter than a full coat, but they provide just the right amount of warmth when you need it. You can easily take them on or off without messing up your hair or your makeup.
- Jackets are another great layering go-to for springtime. Denim is always a classic for layering, but you can also step up your style game with a chic moto jacket.
- Raincoats are a springtime staple, too, but you’ll want to invest in a good one that can withstand all that pelting water. (If you need ideas, Vogue has some good suggestions for high-quality raincoats.)
It’s easy to run wild with tops when there are so many cute new styles that drop each spring. (By all means, if something truly speaks to your heart, get it, girl!)
Again, you have full creative control over your closet, but here’s what you want to look for in a capsule-worthy shirt or blouse:
- Classic colors. We’re going to go out on a limb here and guess that most people’s closets aren’t filled with lime green tops. You can sprinkle in brighter colors here and there, but the basic fail-safe choices are the classic neutrals. Tops that are black, white, navy, beige, or gray will never go out of style. You can also add light pastels for spring.
- Good fit. Don’t discount the importance of finding the right fit with your tops! If you’re going to be wearing these pieces over and over, you’re going to want to feel comfortable and confident in them. So if you’re hanging on to something that’s not serving you, take a deep breath and cut the cord! You’ll be glad you did.
- Versatility. There’s that word again! Like we said, the ideal top is one that can function on many levels. If you can wear it to dinner AND wear it to bed, you’ve got yourself a winner.
You want to keep your capsule pieces to a minimum, so invest in 5–10 quality tops.
Pants and skirts
We know, we know. Skinny jeans are “out.” (At least if you’re following the Gen-Z rules of style.)
There’s no telling what Tik-Tokers will go after next, but the same rule applies with pants as it did with tops: You can’t go wrong with the classics. A good pair of black pants can be casual or formal, depending on what you pair with it. And of course, you always want to include a pair or two of your favorite jeans.
If you prefer something with a little more feminine flair, you can swap out pants for a skirt in similar colors. Light, comfy, and easy to dress up or down — just what you need for spring!
It wouldn’t be spring without those beautiful, flowy dresses, would it? (In case you missed it, you can check out our list of eye-catching spring dresses.)
With dresses, you’ll want to pick items that cover all the bases: something casual, something more formal, and something that could go either way. Choose dresses that match well with the jackets and cardigans you picked out.
Every woman needs the perfect little black dress for her closet, so make sure that’s on your list as well.
It’s sandal time, ladies! While it’s hard to kiss those cute winter booties goodbye for a while, nothing perks up your spirits like shoes that welcome the sunshine.
The phrase “you get what you pay for” definitely applies here. Instead of stocking up on those cheap bargain bin “sandals” that fall apart after three wears, get something that will last. You actually will save money in the long run.
Also, a good pair of white sneakers goes with just about anything!
Let’s be honest — what good is a cake without the frosting? And how boring would a Christmas tree look if you didn’t put anything on it?
Well, friend, that’s why the last (but not least!) item on your capsule wardrobe checklist is accessories. It’s the final touch to add a little extra fun.
A lot of people skip over the accessories when they’re creating their capsule wardrobe, but this is where you can let your personality shine through. (After all, accessories can either make or break an outfit.)
To polish off your look, here are a few things you might want to include:
- A stylish bag. Bags are both beautiful and functional. Choose from tote bags, handbags, crossbody purses, or even fanny packs. (That’s right. They’re staging a comeback.)
- Jewelry. What’s an outfit without a little bling? Add some sparkle and shine with cute earrings, a necklace, or bold rings.
- A hat. Whether it’s a baseball cap or a flat-brimmed hat, this is a great way to top things off.
- Sunglasses. There’s something about sunglasses that adds an extra touch of coolness to any outfit. (The fact that they block the sun is just a bonus.😎)
Find your style on the free SexyModest shopping app
Anyone can give you suggestions on what to include in your capsule wardrobe, but your safest bet is your own intuition. You know you best!
The free SexyModest shopping app makes finding your favorite capsule wardrobe pieces as easy as tapping a button. You’ll get full access to new arrivals, the Brigitte Brianna Collection, the Mix & Match Collection, and so much more!
Every week, we go live to debut the latest pieces and share expert fashion tips and styling inspiration. See what each item looks like in real-time and ask us anything you want to know! (We might even have a few surprises up our sleeve…)
Come shop with us, enjoy a little break from your hectic week, and see if we can’t make you smile.